Monday, June 14, 2010

NY Trend Report 2010: Women's Accessories

I’m constantly looking for inspiration to keep my senses alive and to come up with fresh ideas and merchandise for my shop. Besides hunting for home décor items I also scout new trends in women's accessories. Keeping on top of the color and pattern trends is not just fun for me but a fortunate necessity.

Robert and I attend major trade shows throughout the year and one of my favorites is Accessories the Show (ATS), in NY City.

This trade show is big and joyous—think pulsating music, free food, free coffee, happy people. It’s got a different vibe than, say, the Home Décor shows (and I’ll have a future blog post about that). 

ATS focuses on presenting thousands of lines of women’s apparel, scarves, jewelry and handbags to the retail industry. New York is the best place to view firsthand the latest offerings from European and American suppliers, and, more importantly, to see the latest color and pattern trends in the accessories field.

My Trend Report for 2010:
I saw three current and growing trends at a recent ATS show:

(1) Bright animal prints—not real but faux (zebra, giraffe, python, etc.)., (2) Big, bright florals, and (3) Ethnic-inspired patterns with South American and African influences, such as hand-painted beads and distressed leather.

These trends were prominent in all categories of handbags, scarves and jewelry. 

I am personally obsessed with textiles, so hunting for new scarf lines is always a big part of my trips. As I wandered through the sparkling and organized maze of exhibits at ATS, I continually came upon leopard and other animal prints in scarves. I’m not a crazy animal-print kind of gal, but I did find a stunning cashmere scarf line, produced in India and based in California, called Me & Kashmere, and they had an entire booth of animal-inspired prints and patterns (see the picture with Me & Kashmere owner designer Sualiheen Shaw).

Here are some images of accessories I found just by clicking around to apparel websites. This Cheetah Tote is from Chicos, $89.00


These fun earrings are from Anthropologie, End of Rainbow Earrings: $38.00.


Below are Lily Pulitzer brightly colored Murfee Scarves, $118.00.

Juicy Couture Python Crest Cotton Canvas Tote, $88.00 at SaksFifthAvenue.com

One can see evidence of the popularity of animal prints, floral imagery and ethnic inspiration in the diverse levels of merchants such as Chico's, Nordstrom, and Anthropologie. I can confidently predict that these large retailers, and many small retailers, will be stocked this spring, summer and fall with all of the three of these design styles.

For your web-surfing pleasure, I have provided a few stores with links below. You can also be old-fashioned and actually visit these retailers throughout the state of Virginia. Go out and have a little retail therapy with your friends, and get up close and personal with some of these hot trends.
 
Whether large retailers or small boutiques, here are some of my favorite stores offering a broad selection of accessories, with locations in Virginia:

The Big Ones
Nordstrom: Dulles, McLean, Arlington, Richmond, Norfolk
Chico's: Alexandria, Arlington, Charlottesville, Chesapeake, Fairfax, Fredericksburg, Leesburg, Lynchburg, McLean, Newport News, Norfolk, Reston, Richmond, Virginia Beach, Williamsburg, Winchester
Anthropologie: Charlottesville, McLean, Reston, Richmond
Saks Fifth Avenue: Leesburg, McLean, Potomac Mills, Richmond

Small but beautiful:
The Pink Palm: Richmond, McLean, Charlottesville
Gossypia: Alexandria
Lou Lou’s Too, 18 East Washington Street, Middleburg 540-687-4204

 

No comments:

Post a Comment