Monday, October 3, 2011

Illuminating Candle Holders,
Mercury Glass and More


Candle light creates many moods and emotions: quietness, love, peace, romance. I love using candles when dining with my husband, family or friends, but I also use them to create a sense of repose when I walk in the door after a long day's work. I like taking a deep breath and slowing down once I enter my home. Lighting a candle really works. I highly recommend it.

I think my fascination with mercury glass candle holders came from following Rachel Ashwell. Her Shabby Chic style inspired me over the years and has guided me towards other designers to love and admire, like Brooke Giannetti  and her delightful Patina Style. Each designer has a penchant for the worn and tattered, items aged to perfection, and in Rachel's case perhaps a little bling thrown in for good measure. The bling for me is the glow that illuminates from several silvery votives scattered about a table or mantle -- subtle, calming, and oh so pretty.

Here are some cool vintage-style candle holders we just received in the shop this week. Do any of these speak to you?  I have always been a little candle-crazy and I love them all. The white bone china votives are modern and fun, and when lit cast an ethereal shimmer. I am especially drawn to the mercury glass-style pieces and look for unique designs every season to keep things fresh and exciting. My shop is filled with lots of sparkle right now.

Some of these lovelies can now be found on our website, but you can also call us toll free to purchase: 866-503-2334. We also offer French Dripless Candles from Point a la Ligne that work beautifully with our candle holders. Mais Oui!




Les Fleur Glass Votive Holder


Mercury Ball Votive Holder


Mercury Chalice Candle Holder


King's Crown Mercury Votive Holder


Display in the R.H Ballard Shop:  Mercury Demi John, Glass Boule Candle Holders, Mercury Candle Holders



Mercury Vine and Ball Candle Holder


Peeking inside the front shop window @ R.H. Ballard

All photos by Joanie Ballard

Links of interest:

Mercury Glass:  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mercury_glass
Silvered Mercury Glass: http://www.go-star.com/antiquing/mercury_glass.htm
Antique Mercury Glass Information: http://www.collectics.com/education_mercury.html
Pictorial Guide to Silvered Mercury Glass (Illustrated) http://www.amazon.com/Pictorial-Guide-Silvered-Mercury-Glass/dp/1574324756

No comments:

Post a Comment